Things To Do in May Around Durango
Somehow, it’s already May. Perhaps you’re like us and feel like January was just yesterday morning - regardless, we are deep into spring and heading straight for summer. The days are longer, the temperatures are warmer, and the sun seems brighter. As school begins to wrap up and we fully emerge from the hibernation of a good and long winter, the spirit of the Four Corners awakens with fistfuls of events to join. Scour the list for local favorites like the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, and regional gems like the Telluride Balloon Festival. Bookmark this page, jot down the events that catch your eye, and share with friends. It’s time to enjoy all that our beloved area offers!
If you're around Durango...
- 5/2-6 - Durango Wine Experience. More than 10 wineries and thousands of labels! Get your tickets here.
- 5/3 - Narrow Gauge Day. Celebrating a new season of trains heading towards Silverton. Free hot dogs, live music, and more!
- 5/4 - The Durango Derby. Celebrate the 145th Kentucky Derby at the Powerhouse Science Center!
- 5/5 - Give Back Days. Head to Durango Outdoor Exchange to support Thrive! Living Wage Coalition.
- 5/11 - Durango Farmers Market. The beloved farmers market is making its return for 2019!
- 5/11 - Law Enforcement Memorial River Walk. Join the Durango One Hundred Club to support local law enforcement.
- 5/17-19 - One Vibration Festival. Head to Hesperus for 2 days and nights of live music and camping!
- 5/18 - Party in the Park. For free food and games, head to Buckley Park for live music all day from Stillwater Music!
- 5/19 - Taste of Durango. Durango’s ultimate drink and beverage festival, and the best summer kick-off party!
- 5/22 Vallecito Lake Kickoff Party. A fundraiser for the 4th of July, come hang out at Vallecito Lake with live music and smoked BBQ!
- 5/23 - ASA Volunteer Training. Canoeing, kayaking, rafting, and cycling volunteer trainings are free to help people get connected with the community through ASA! Check the event for more dates.
- 5/24-26 - 48th Annual Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. This 50 mile bike race is back for Durangotangs to enjoy!
If you're headed out from here...
If you’re looking for an excuse to spend a long weekend away, these are great events to attend. The Four Corners Area is rich and diverse, meaning there’s always something engaging to participate in.
- 5/3-6/2 - Live Horse Racing in Farmington. Every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday come out to watch live horse racing!
- 5/9 - Lunafest in Cortez. A screening from Lunafest about empowering women and breast cancer awareness - proceeds go to getting a local climber to Mt. Shasta! Get your tickets here.
- 5/19-24 - goneMOAB. Annual off-road and outdoor experience event with fellow 4-wheelers.
- 6/19 - Santa Fe Century. 25, 50, and 100 mile rides in this classic race! Get registered.
- 5/24-27 - Mountainfilm Festival in Telluride. Showcasing nonfiction stories concerning environmental and cultural issues, this festival isn’t one to be missed. Buy tickets here!
- 5/25-26 - Moab Arts Festival. Jewelry, pottery, sculpture, photography, and more all at this free festival!
- 5/26 - Oasis Festival in Sante Fe. A “by youth, for youth” musical festival featuring Cherry Glazerr and local teen musicians! (Pst, it’s free!)
- 5/31-6/1 - Telluride Balloon Festival. Spend a weekend in Telluride to watch the hot air balloon soar in the valley.