Things to do in March around Durango
The madness of March is here! Whether you’re a die-hard college basketball fan or not, March always seems to be a confusing month of pure madness in Durango. Is it spring? Are we going to get another couple feet of snow the day we all will inevitably decide that it’s warm enough to wear shorts? Will we suddenly be struck with a heat wave? Can we all finally go camping or is it too cold? Don’t worry, we’re in this together! The first day of spring is March 19th, we have spring break planning to think about and St. Patrick’s Day- the ultimate beer drinking day- are all things we have to look forward to! So remember, dress in layers to try to conquer Durango’s fickle weather, get outside and enjoy yourself! Here are the best events happening all month long that you should definitely fear missing out on!
If you're staying in town...
- March 1st: Two Hearts Wedding Experience. Getting married? Head to the Doubletree Hotel to chat with local vendors about planning your special day. Need more ideas for having a wedding in the area? Visit our wedding directory!
- March 3rd: SUPER TUESDAY. Super Tuesday is the election day when certain states, including Colorado, hold primary elections. Register to vote at the La Plata County Clerk and Recorder’s Office, the Driver’s Licence Office, any other state office, or online using this link!
- March 4th: Habit and Southwest Women’s Health Ribbon Cutting. A health and wellness ribbon cutting ceremony featuring champagne and sparkling water. Come toast a glass!
- March 5th: Ladies’ Night of Indulgence. Man I feel like a woman! Enjoy FREE goodies, raffle for prizes, and bring the gals to a ladies night full of indulgence.
- March 5th: KDUR’s Furniture as Art Auction. Featuring over 25 local artists that created masterpieces out of furniture! A unique canvas to support a unique student and community radio. Hosted at the Durango Arts Center.
- March 5th: Chocolate & Wine Tasting. Celebrate the 100th year of the 19th Amendment- Women’s Right to Vote- with all your gal pals. Tickets can be purchased here.
- March 6th: Power to Act. A perfect opportunity to make a beneficial impact in the community while having fun and celebrating all at the same time. Join us at Cj’s Diner.
- March 8th: FLC Fastest 5k. You can’t catch me when I’m running this FAST. The goal of this 5K is to run as fast as you can- no gimmicks or extras involved. Hosted by the FLC XC team. How fast can you go?
- March 10th: March Sip & Shop Event. Professional Women’s Network of Durango and the Women’s Resource Center are hosting the sip and shop event! Drink some wine and shop around Urban Market with discounts on everything in the store! 15% of proceeds will go to the Women’s Resource Center.
- March 11th: Spring Menu Tasting Event. The Bookcase & Barber is hosting their seasonal menu tasting event! Go check out the new menu items and what fun drink concoctions the alcohol enthusiasts at the Bookcase have come up with for spring! Tickets sell fast-- purchase them here!
- March 12th: Durango Regional Job Fair. Interview on the spot and meet selected employers in the area who are looking to hire new, motivated employees. It’s hosted at the La Plata County Fairgrounds.
- March 12th: 4th Annual Southwest Ability Summit. Join the community outreach event that stresses the importance of a community that is inclusive to all with a focus on those with disabilities at the Durango Rec Center.
- March 12th: Southwest Colorado Women in Business. 2020 awards ceremony and magazine unveiling for Southwest Colorado Women in Business. Cash bar and light appetizers! Join us at the Powerhouse. Tickets are $10 and are available for purchase at both The Journal and The Durango Herald.
- March 12th - 14th: Durango Celtic Festival. Celebrate the luck of the Irish with us! Enjoy three days of traditional celtic music that explores the cultures of Ireland, Scotland, the Hebrides and Cape Breton at the Henry Strater Theatre and the Irish Embassy Pub.
- March 13th: Pi Day Run, Durango edition, 4th annual. A fun run and delicious pie to indulge in after-- we’ll see you there!
- March 15th: Mancos Melt. Beer and music will never get old. It’s the best pairing there is! The Mancos Melt will be playing old school rock n’ roll hits at the Mancos Brewing Company. Don’t miss it.
- March 16th - 20th: Local Spring Break. (Durango 9R and FLC) Big plans for spring break? Check out our directory for some fun ideas to do in the area!
- March 17th: St. Patrick’s Day. It’s the ultimate day to try your luck! If you’re of Irish heritage or not, come join us in the festivities! Ride the Shamrock Express train, hosted by the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, and visit the Pub to enjoy a cold pint with us. Don’t forget to wear green!
- March 19th: First day of Spring. The birds are singing and the flowers are blooming-- spring is finally here!
- March 22nd: Durango Snowshoe/XC Ski & Bottomless Bloody Mary Brunch. What pairs better than a bloody mary and outdoor snow recreation? Nothing-- the answer is nothing. Hosted by the Women of Colorado! Get your tickets here.
- March 23rd: Womenade. Help reach out to a woman in need! You vote on who needs a helping hand and all the proceeds will go towards helping said woman with care repairs, healthcare, child care or other emergencies.
- March 24th - 26th: Women Outside Adventure Forum. The fifth year of this event is in the making! Three awesome nights. Several awesome speakers. Celebrate women outside!
- March 25th: Ska Brewing’s Mexican Logger release party. The best beer of the summer is back! What does Mexican Logger being back mean to you? Go celebrate at Ska Brewing Co.
- March 25th: Extraordinary Women Award Dinner. An elegant night celebrating amazing women! Go help revive the Roaring 20’s in your best costume with drinks, dancing, live auction, food, and, of course, awards to the extraordinary women.
- March 26th: No Man’s Land Film Festival. In honor of Women’s History Month, FLC will be celebrating with the screening of this film.
- March 29th: 2nd Annual Hops & Hopes. Dinner and beer from Ska Brewing Co! All proceeds will go directly to the children and families of Durango Early Learning Center.
If you're heading out of town...
- March 1st: Archview Campground Opens in Moab. The campground is opening March 1st to all RV’s, tents and vacation rentals!
- March 5th - 10th: Moab, Arches & Canyonlands 2020 Winter/Spring Photo Workshop. 6 days photographing the wondrous landscape that surrounds the Moab area! Most photographs will be targeted for shooting at sunsets and sunrises.
- March 13th: Skidola, Telluride’s Winter Uphill. That’s right, an all uphill race in the snow! This is the first annual Skidola race in Telluride! All proceeds will go to the PI Avy Fund, which creates avalanche education courses and back country user awareness in the area.
- March 13th - 14th: Canyonlands Half Marathon and 5 Mile. The first half marathon ran was in 1976 and had only 22 runners, one runner being a dog. Today, thousands participate in this event!
- March 14th: 2020 Moab Skinny Tire Festival. Moab has some of the best road biking in the world! This four day festival features: Arches National Park, roadside along the Colorado River, and the Dead Horse Point State Park! For every registration received, a $25 donation will go to the Moab Cancer Treatment Center.
- March 25th: The Dirt Circus 3.0. Bring your dirt bikes and book your camping spots! Join many others and ride on the best terrain made especially for venturing out on your dirt wrecking machine!