Things To Do in August Around Durango
Monsoon season, a new school year, the conclusion to summer festivities, and dozens of spectacular events - hello August! Some may be saddened by the words “conclusion” and summer” being in the same sentence. Don’t worry, we are too. But the sunny season isn’t over quite yet! Durango and the surrounding Four Corners region aren’t saying goodbye to the beloved 14 hours of sun per day without having one more month of pure fun, so we’re going out with a bang. County Fairs, music festivals, beer fests, half-marathons, and even a mushroom festival. Do whatever you need to do to make it to these events, it’ll be worth your while. We’ve highlighted some classic Durangatang local happenings, as well as some regional gems that would make a great weekend away.
If you're around Durango...
- 8/3 - Pine River Festival. Second annual Pine River Festival in Bayfield features live music, craft beer, wine, spirits, ciders, and BBQ samples. The festival is a fund raiser for the local non-profit The Be Frank Foundation.
- 8/7-11 - La Plata County Fair. “Proud of the Past, Poised for the Future.” For your yearly needs of carnival food, livestock, live music, and games, head to the fair!
- 8/9 - Chevel Shepherd Live. Farmington native winner of “The Voice” performs live at the La Plata County Fair. Get tickets!
- 8/16 - Durango Blues Train. A “moving” experience with live blues acts aboard the D&SNGRR’s coal-fired, steam-powered train.
- 8/15 - Bayfield Block Party. The monthly Block Party with live music, food, and the whole community together.
- 8/17 - Meltdown on the Mesa. Bluegrass and camping at the Durango Mesa Park, all in meltdown style. Need I say more? Music starts at 1pm!
- 8/24 - San Juan Brewfest. Beer, beer, and more beer. The largest beer tasting festival in the Four Corners. 50 breweries, 100+ beers, 2 live bands. And did we mention more beer?
- 8/24 - Thirsty 13 Half Marathon. This mostly downhill course will have you shaving minutes off your PR, just in time to enjoy some brewskis with the incorporated Brewfest!
- 8/24 - iAM Music Fest. Tired from running a half-marathon? Or need to dance off the beers from Brewfest? Head to the iAM Music Fest at 11th Street Station!
- 8/30-9/1 - Four Corners Motorcycle Rally. Bike shows, stunt exhibitions, dirt track race, live music, fundraisers, a parade, and more across the whole Southwest Colorado region.
If you're headed out from here...
Regional events that would make the perfect weekend venture or solid day trip. The Four Corners area never disappoints, folks.
Pagosa Springs, CO:
- 8/30-9/1 - Four Corners Folk Festival. A fantastic lineup, a weekend of camping, pickin’ circles, and good booze and food. Need we say more?
- 8/3 - Silverton Barbershop Music Festival. Singers from all over the Rocky Mountains come together for this 25-year-old harmonious event! The Festival Chorus starts at 7pm at the Silverton Public School Gym (and it’s free)
- 8/9 - 45th Annual Hardrockers Holiday. A three day festival filled to the brim with mining competitions for men, women, and kids. Call Judy Kuhlman for more info, 970-387-5635.
- 8/9-10 - Escalante Days. Celebrating the Dolores area, Escalante Days features dance parties, a mountain bike race, softball tournaments, a chain saw competition, local beer and food for a whole weekend.
- 8/10 - Mountain Bike Race. During Escalante Days, this bike race kicks off with various races up to 50 miles, and kids races the night prior! Choose from 13, 18, 33, and 50 mile stretches.
- 8/9-11 - Telluride Jazz Festival. Four decades of history lay with this festival. Three days and nights of live music centered around Jazz - not to be missed.
- 8/14-18 - Telluride Mushroom Festival. Celebrating all things fungi! A famous mushroom cook-off, celebrating everything mycological, and learning about the newest mushroom science. This year’s theme: “Healing the Mind, Healing the Planet.”
- 8/31-9/3 - 45th Telluride Film Festival. This famous festival is a Telluride staple that’s known throughout the country, bringing people in from all over. You better get your passes now, film junkies!
- 8/12-17 - San Juan County Fair. Need more fair-time after the La Plata County Fair? Head down to Farmington and join in on this year’s theme, “Barn to be Wild!”
- 8/30-9/1 - Totah Festival. A Juried Art Festival, this Indian Market & Pow Wow features Native American art from across the Southwest! Food, contest, cultural dance expos, a pow wow, and more.
Santa Fe, NM:
- 8/23-25 - Sante Fe Traditional Music Festival. Playing, listening, teaching, and sharing music with anyone who wants it! With free tent & RV camping, this festival is great for anyone craving new music.