Things To Do In September in Durango and the Four Corners
Goodbye summer, our dear friend. We thoroughly enjoyed your fast flowing rivers, blazing sunshine, yummy beers, and all-around good times. But now it’s time for fall to say hey and give us those unbeatable colors characteristic of autumn in the San Juans. As we prepare for more cold-weather related activities (is anyone already thinking about putting on ski boots?), Durango and the surrounding Four Corners Area have provided a plethora of local events to keep you busy throughout the month of September. Whether you’re looking for a simple in-town opportunity, a full weekend of fun, or a road-trip worthy event, we’re serving up a bountiful dose of events. Bookmark this page, take a picture, do what you need to do to remember these events - they aren’t to be missed!
If you're around Durango...
In-town events to enjoy with your friends or family.
- 8/30-9/1 - Four Corners Motorcycle Rally. Bike Shows, Stunt exhibitions, a dirt track race, live music, fundraisers, a parade, and more, all weekend long!
- 9/1 - Wine and Rails. Live music from Still House Junkies and wine samplings from local wineries all aboard the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. Get tickets!
- 9/2 - First day of school at Fort Lewis College. Welcome back, Skyhawks!
- 9/7 - Eat Local 4th Annual Harvest Dinner presented by Local First. A multi-course dinner that supports local farms, get your tickets now!
- 9/7-8 - Whole Expo. The ultimate showcase of The Four Corners for Holistic & Ecological Products, Services, & Seminars, all weekend long.
- 9/14 - Chili Chase 10K Trail Run and Chili Cook Off. Benefiting the San Juan Mountains Association, run for the mountains and eat for the fun while sampling the best trails and chili Durango has to offer.
- 9/20-22 - 2019 Parade of Homes. This is the ultimate opportunity to take a tour through some of SW Colorado’s most magnificent homes! Meet the builders and craftsmen behind the homes.
- 9/21-22 - Durango Autumn Arts Festival. With over 6,000 visitors, this arts festival attracts people from all over the Four Corners! View nearly 90 different local artists from the surrounding San Juan Mountains region.
- 9/21-22 - 30th Annual Fall Photographers Train. Grab seats to these perfect opportunity to capture photos of the iconic Durango & Silverton Train chugging through fall in the San Juans.
If you're headed out from here...
Regional events that will give you epic road-trip memories to tell around the next campfire or dinner table.
- 8/30-9/2 - Telluride Film Festival. The festival of festivals that likely needs no introduction. All passes are sold out, but the festival brings a certain spark to the town that’s hard to ignore.
- 9/13-15 - Blues & Brews Festival. Three days and nights of music, comedy, craft beer, yoga, art and entertainment with 13,000 ft peaks as your backdrop.
- 8/30-9/1 - Four Corners Folk Festival. Camping, pickin’, food, brews, and beloved bands make for a stellar weekend at this festival. Get tickets!
- 9/20-22 - Colorfest. Food & Wine Festival, Bands & Brews Festival, Mass Air Balloon Ascension, and a Color run. There’s something for absolutely everyone during this colorful weekend!
- 9/28 - Mountain Chile Cha Cha Trail Races. 5k, 10k, and half marathon on top of a Green Chile Festival. Live music, beer garden, green chile roasting and cook-off, margarita contest, and a fair share of runners.
- 9-20 - Silverton Summer Sounds Music Series - Head to Columbine Park for live funk fusion music from Eminence Ensemble, food from Las Playitas Pupusas Food Truck, brews from Golden Block Brewery and Mountain View Winery Wines, and fun opening acts! Show starts at 6pm, rain or shine.
- 9/24-26 - 2019 San Juan Mining & Reclamation Conference & Innovation Expo. This conference analyzes the bigger picture of mining and reclamation in the San Juan Mountains.
- 9/19-22 - Root Fest, Fall Foilage Hut Trip. A family throwdown with lodging, yoga, babysitting, in-house chef prepared meals, a full bar, live music, all amidst fall in the mountains. Yeah, you should sign up.
- 9/12-14 - 32nd Jeep Jamboree. Join other Jeep enthusiasts to climb through some of Southwest Colorado’s most spectacular mountain passes.
- 9/4-8 - Four Corners 4x4 Week. Competition, trail rides, car shows, and more! A full week long, this event is perfect for all you off-road enthusiasts.
- 9/10-15 - Four Corners Film Festival. Hosted in Downtown Farmington, this film festival gives a voice to Native American, female, military veteran, faith-based, and other film makers both locally and nationally recognized.
- 9/14 - September to Remember: Artisan Market and Expo. Head down to Farmington from 10am-1pm to join in the arts and craft show!
Santa Fe, NM
- 9/14-15 - The 12th Annual Santa Fe Renaissance Faire. Float back into time at El Rancho de las Golondrinas with the annual Renaissance Faire.
- 9/15 - Santa Fe Thunder. Annual Half Marathon, 5k, and 1 mile walk, all a part of the multicultural celebration of health and wellness down the Old Taos Highway, alongside a Running & Arts Festival that occurs simultaneously.
- 8/26-9/12 - Moab Music Festival. World-class musicians with red rock backdrop venues - beautiful, to say the least.
- 9/11-15 - Southern Utah Adventure - Jeep Jamboree. Off-trail routes that not many get to travel. Join the crew of Jeeps on this expedition!
- 9/20-22 - 3-Day Technical Canyoneering Course. Learn to canyoneer! Hiking, wading, swimming, jumping, sliding, boulder-hopping, rock-climbing - all the above and more.