City of Durango to fertilize turf fields
Have you ever wondered how the grass in Durango's lovely parks system stays so lush and green? It's because the professionals within the City of Durango Parks & Recreation Department apply their know-how within the science of turfgrass management to keep our parks both pretty and hearty. The City plans to apply both organic and chemical fertilizers and has announced a schedule as to when they plan to perform this maintenance at the various parks around town.
Whereas there might be some concern as to when it's safe to enjoy grassy areas after fertilization, the City of Durango promotes Best Management Practices in the stewardship of City lands to ensure the safe enjoyment of parks in the community. To this end the City will be applying turf fertilizer to the following facilities:
- Devin Hart Soccer Field at Riverview Sports Complex on Monday, June 24.
- Folsom Park on Monday, June 24.
- Santa Rita Park on Tuesday, June 25.
- Confluence Park at Three Springs on Tuesday, June 25.
- Pioneer Park (organic fertilizer) on Wednesday, June 26.
- Brookside Park (organic fertilizer) on Wednesday, June 26.
- Riverfront Park (organic fertilizer) on Thursday, June 27.
- Iris Park (organic fertilizer) on Thursday, June 27.
- Needham Park on Thursday, June 27.
- Fanto Park on Friday, June 28.
- Buckley on Friday, June 28.
- Durango Community Recreation Center on Saturday, June 29.
- Historic Tram Park at Twin Buttes on Monday, July 1.
- Upper Fields at Riverview Sports Complex on Monday, July 1.
- Jenkins Ranch Park on Tuesday, July 2.
- Durango Softball Complex at FLC on Wednesday, July 3.
Applications are conducted to improve the quality of the parks. Schedule is subject to change based on weather conditions.
For additional information, contact the Parks and Recreation, Park Maintenance Division at 970-375-7380.