Custodian - Library
- Job Category: Maintenance
- Salary: $31,595.20 Annually
- Education: High School Graduate
- FT/PT: Part-Time
- Company: Durango Public Library
To clean and maintain the assigned building and site; and to perform other custodial and maintenance duties relative to assigned area of responsibility.
Essential Job Duties
1. Sweep, mop, buff and wax floors; shake out mats; vacuum carpets.
2. Remove trash from building, grounds, sweep sidewalks and empty trash cans.
3. Perform minor maintenance duties on various building systems.
4. Dust furniture; polish glassware and windows.
5. Clean restrooms, kitchens and water fountains.
6. Perform routine inspections on all lights and electrical outlets to maintain working
order; check building for leaks.
7. Perform minor repairs in the building; may paint assigned areas.
8. Clean and maintain outside grounds area; remove snow during winter months.
9. Set up and take down equipment; adhere to set-up instructions provided by assigned
10. Perform a variety of recording functions; maintain logs on all work performed and
11. Provide proactive friendly service to internal and external customers
12. Assist in providing a secure environment for patrons, staff, and library materials
1. Assist on special projects, as assigned.
2. Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Knowledge of:
- Cleaning and related custodial methods and techniques.
- Basic principles and procedures of building maintenance.
- Tools, material and equipment needed to perform custodial functions.
- Safe work practices.
- Basic record keeping methods.
- Use and operate custodial equipment, including a buffer, vacuum cleaner, chair and table dollies, and a variety of electric and power hand tools.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties.
- Maintain a mental capacity which allows for effective interaction and communication with others.
Interact in a positive manner with staff and the public
Inside and outside environment; exposure to cleaning solutions and hazardous chemicals; varying schedule including nights, weekends and on-call.
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining a physical condition necessary for standing, walking, lifting, and bending for prolonged periods of time; moderate to heavy lifting. Also required is ability to use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop or crawl, speak and hear, and lift.
Education or Formal Training and Licenses:
Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
Previous cleaning and/or landscape experience preferred.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as established to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.