Manna Garden Manager - Contract Worker
- Job Category: Maintenance
- Salary: $30.00 per hour
- Education: N/A
- FT/PT: Part-Time
- Company: Manna Soup Kitchen
Manna Garden Manager Job Description- Contract Worker
Position Title: Manna Garden Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Position Status: Contract Worker ($30.00 an/hour, 21 hours a week for 40 weeks = $25,200)
Supervises: AmeriCorps Members, and Volunteers
Location: The job cannot be performed remotely.
Schedule: Mid-February to Mid-November; 40 weeks
The Mission of Manna is to provide, in the spirit of faith and love, nourishing meals and supportive services in an atmosphere of acceptance and caring for those in need.
Summary of Position: Manna is seeking a garden manager to implement operations at the Manna
Garden. The Garden Manager will facilitate vegetable production and maintenance. The Garden
Manager will collaborate with volunteers, Manna’s Garden Volunteer Coordinator, Garden AmeriCorps,
Manna’s Culinary and Nutrition Educator, and Manna’s Executive Chef. The Garden Manager will oversee all aspects of the Manna Garden to produce food for the Community Kitchen and Food Market.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage and perform all aspects of planning, planting, maintenance, growing, soil health and harvesting at the Manna Garden. Include organic and/or biodynamic principles.
2. Perform all general upkeep such as irrigation system maintenance, weeding, perennial maintenance, composting and general tidiness.
3. Manage all volunteer days at the Manna Garden with the help of the Garden AmeriCorps. Engage with volunteers and the Garden AmeriCorps in the completion of various tasks.
4. Set up regular volunteer days at the Manna Garden, collaborate with the Manna Volunteer
5. Provide supervision and guidance for the Garden AmeriCorps. Create tasks and duties for the garden
AmeriCorps to complete on a weekly basis in the Manna Garden.
6. Plan and implement annual crop plan including propagation schedule, crop rotations, fertility plan, and planting maps.
7. Tool and equipment maintenance and care – hand tools, and small power tools.
8. Maintain infrastructure at the Manna Garden, the Manna Greenhouse, sheds, irrigation, weed control, fencing, etc. The Garden Manager will alert the Executive Director about any repairs and/or maintenance that needs to occur.
9. Collaborate with Manna’s Executive Chef the washing, packing, and proper storage of produce coming from the Manna Garden into the Community Kitchen.
10. Ensure food safety through produce safety standards, water monitoring and good agricultural practices and implementation of standards operating procedures.
11. Manage the Manna Garden landscaping irrigation system and coordinate service visits with San Juan
12. Collaborate with the Garden Volunteer Coordinator to recruit, organize and retain volunteers to help in the Manna Garden. Work towards actively growing the garden volunteer base. Maintain
clear documentation of volunteer data in VOMO (Manna’s volunteer management system).
13. Work closely with the Community Kitchen and Food Market to ensure the annual crop plan adequately meets the volume, nutritional and cultural needs for Manna programs and participants.
14. Collaborate with Manna’s Garden Chair to facilitate three Garden Committee Meetings for the year.
15. Track and record all farm produce outcomes measured in pounds.
16. Meet with the Executive Director and provide bi-weekly updates.
17. Work in coordination with Manna Staff/Board to create social enterprise opportunities and/or fundraising events for the Manna Garden.
Motivated, self-directed, able to work independently as well as part of a team.
Direct and consistent communication with Manna Executive Director, Culinary Kitchen Manager, and Garden Volunteer Coordinator.
Ability to multitask.
Strong organizational and time management skills.
Ability to motivate others, including program participants, volunteers, staff, and students.
Ability to show compassion, wisdom, boundaries and impartial judgement when dealing with staff, students, program participants, volunteers and community members.
Demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity, inclusion, cultural sensitivity, and trauma informed care.
Physical demands/essential job functions:
Lifting 60 pounds on a regular basis.
Stooping, bending and twisting.
Ability to perform rigorous physical labor several hours a day.
Qualifications and Experience:
Three years full-time experience working in the horticulture industry or equivalent.
At least 2 years of experience managing high production vegetables and compost management in an organic/organically grown system.
Experience with and knowledge of operating a production greenhouse.
Experience leading volunteer and internship programs.
Knowledge of and commitment to Manna’s Mission and a desire to serve the community. Display the ability to represent Manna in a positive and professional manner at all times.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Pay: $30.00 per hour
4 hour shift
8 hour shift
Work Location: One location
Hiring 1 candidate for this role
Job Link: Click HERE To Apply!